Sunday, August 5, 2012

Since I am bragging on ministries let me brag on two we get to serve along side right here in Puerto Lempira.

A few years ago I searched the UMVIM  website for a place to go on a mission trip I came across a place called House of Hope  in Puerto Lempira, Honduras. That summer I came for a two week visit that changed my life in every way possible. 
House of Hope is a short term home (although they do have some long term kids) for partially handicapped and malnourished children. Thousands of children have received nourishment from House of Hope and hundreds have been sent out to the city for surgery.  House of Hope was founded by Dr. Tom Brian and run by missionaries Katrina and Roger Engle who have lived in La Moskitia for 20 years now. Katrina is known by the whole region as “Mama Miriki” or American mother. She is our go to person for any missionary and cultural advice.   Katrina and House of Hope have paved the way for all the Americans and ministries in this jungle town.
Novelina weighed 13 pounds at 3 years old. This is her a month after being at HOH.


Another great ministry is Reach Out Honduras founded by Laura and Alex Waits. The Waits family and their 5 kids are our neighbors, family, and friends here in Puerto Lempira. I have said a million times I don't know if I could make it here without the Waits family.  They work in the areas of discipleship, education, and sustainable solutions. They are starting a bilingual christian school that will provide "private" education for those who can not afford it.  They have almost completed construction on the first room classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment