Tuesday, October 23, 2012

This summer I met a baby boy probably around 7 months older than my Daniel Paul but smaller and way thinner.  At over a year old, unable to walk, or talk this baby boy abandoned at the hospital with no identity. He quickly became Charlie.
In the beginning I decided to wait around a little while and see how the situation played out before jumping in falling in love with a little boy who would be going back home.
The stories got worse the more we found out. It was decided he would not be going home.
I began to pray Lord is Charlie ours? Is Charlie going to grow up running around with a “twin.” Is Grace the big sister of two little brothers.  I thought what are the odds… girly, pink, hair bows, and dresses me has “twin” boys.
I shared about Charlie with very few people who I knew would pray about the situation.
I never felt the Lord say no or yes. So I just kept waiting asking the Lord to make things VERY clear.
The next week I was at the house of hope where Charlie was staying. A human rights lady came by saying she was sending him to the state run orphanage in the city. At this point I thought okay Lord here is your sign. We will take him. I was at peace with this choice but knew we had to wait until we lived in our house before we could take him.
In the mean time Charlie’s sister Mia came into the picture. At 4 years old she was smaller than my 2 year old.  She would talk or smile. She had been through more abuse than anyone should ever be put through much less a 4 year old girl.
Things got complicated. Is Mia ours Lord? Did our family just double? Do I have two sets of “twins” now? 
I did not hear a yes or a no but I did want to keep the siblings together. I knew we for sure had to be in our house. There is no way I could raise 4 kids in a one room apartment and still be sane.
I knew it would be difficult. I emailed a friend who is a Christian counselor for advice on walking Mia through some things. I knew it would be a big adjustment for everyone. I knew despite the what ifs that if the Lord was going to call me to do this- then He would provide. He would be my strength. He would receive a whole lot of glory and I would be made more humble.
I took all 4 kids out for an afternoon. Mia clung to my side. Grace fell in love with Mia. Charlie and Daniel Paul hung out in the stoller and drank bottles. I introduced them to the feeding program kids. They fell in love with them immediately. Falling into the big brother and sister roles they play so well with my kids. It felt good. I went home thinking okay so this will be life. We can make it.


 
4 months later:
 I am still thinking when we move into our house we will take it slow and transition them into our family.
A few weeks ago Charlie and Mia’s mother Patricia showed up.
The Lord had us waiting all along for the “house” while really He was working on the heart of their mom.
She has also been through things I can't even wrap my mind around.  She is 8 months pregnant. She has now been off drugs for 2 months. She came to House of Hope pleading for help to get out. She had hit rock bottom and was so hungry for something more.  At this point she is living at the House of Hope with Charlie and Mia. The missionary there Katrina has taken her under her wing and poured her everything into this woman. Patricia is learning to take care of herself and her children and more importantly how loved she is by her Heavenly Father.
At first glance most would say no way never let her have the kids back. Right now I am cheering for her to take them home and make it as a family. 
Isn’t this what we really want?
To empower the mother to be able to leave the abuse and addictions behind and raise her children to love the Lord.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring.What the Lord has planned for Charlie, Mia and their mom.
Please be praying for Patricia. She has a great future ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment